Thursday, November 25, 2010

día de gracias

Happy Thanksgiving! My semester in Spain is almost over, and I'm getting a bit nostalgic/reflective. Keeping with the theme d' jour,  I've compiled a list of things I'm thankful for:

1. Cafe con leche - justifies my caffeine addiction every time!
2. Madrid's art museums especially the "golden triangle": The Prado, the Reina Sofia, and the Thyssen. Going to a museum every week has been one of my favorite parts of living in a major metropolis.
3. The wonders of modern technology - skype and email (and blogs!) - that keep me in touch with my friends and family back home. I would probably be way more stressed/lonely if it weren't for the internet!
4. The fact that I stuck with Spanish for almost 10 years. Can't believe that I've gone from "Hola. Cómo estás?" to (near) linguistic proficiency. Nothing is more rewarding than having real Spanish conversations with real Spanish people.
5. The academically-wussy classes here that allow me to travel on the weekends and explore the city without being tied to my computer and textbooks. Also a welcome breather in between a tough sophomore year and what looks like to be a challenging junior spring.
6. The great people I've met on my program and in Madrid. Seriously, everyone on my program is so nice and fun. Who knew that a cross-section from every liberal arts school in the country would be such a simpatico group?
7. Plaza Mayor. I know it's one of the main tourist areas of Madrid, but I can't help loving it. It's just SO old and cool and great. This might not be historically accurate, but I can easily imagine medieval knights meeting up there for some café.
8. Tapas! Specifically tortilla española, manchego cheese and roasted green peppers. Mmmm.
9. The opportunity and ability to travel. Before this semester, I was never involved in any of our family trip-planning. In addition to being amazing and fun, my trips around Europe have taught me how to be organized, patient (especially with delayed Ryanair flights...) and responsible.

Aaand last but not least (although a bit cheesy)

10. My great family, who have always supported me in thousands of ways and who are here enjoying Madrid with me this week!

Enjoy the tryptophan!

Love,
Sophie

No comments:

Post a Comment