Thursday, October 7, 2010

mo' montaditos mo' problems

I've realized that I tend to write emails/blog posts on Sunday and then I have to cram a week's worth of activities plus weekend adventures into one heinously long bulletin. Thus, mini-posts.


I never actually write about the week because it always goes by so darn fast! We only have four day weeks, and by the time I'm settled into "school mode" it's the weekend again. Not the worst problem in the world, but one that makes studying somewhat difficult. 


On Monday I went to my internship for the second time and started a new project. I'm researching a new educational incentive called "Escuela 2.0" that President Zapatero introduced earlier this year. The program gives money to schools so they can buy computers for each child and teach lessons using Internet programs, CD-ROMs and other kinds of audio/digital interactive things.  It's a bit complicated because each autonomous community is in the process of setting up a different program; some communities (cough Madrid, Murcia and Valencia) are opposed to the whole initiative due to "health risks" as well as issues of effectiveness and money. The last one especially. At Cambridge University Press, I'm scoping out the programs (a computer for each kid, a computer in the classroom, digital blackboards, etc.) in each AC so that CUP can alter/augment their existing online software or make new programs as needed. Fun!


Flamenco class continues to be a source of endless amusement and unexpected challenge. It's actually way harder than I thought it would be. We're learning 4-5 dances at a time with lots of complicated stomping and swishing of skirts. ¡Ay! For your listening pleasure, here are two of the songs that I'm currently grooving to:
Verde by Manzanita
Borriquito by Peret

This weekend my good friend Jen Zelnick is visiting and I'm very excited to show her around Madrid! We will definitely be hitting up Cien Monteditos, one of my favorite new restaurants/bars (and also the source of this post's awful pun). "Monteditos" are small sandwiches. The thing is that on certain days, you can order an enormous jarra of tinto de verano for 1 euro and a lil' sandwich for 1 euro. I went there last night for dinner with some friends and spent 6 euro. ¡Que ganga (what a steal)!

Hasta Luego!

Besos,
S

No comments:

Post a Comment