Sunday, October 24, 2010

metro madrid: a love story

A few days ago while skyping with Mom, Grandma, and Grandpa, I talked for a bit (more like 20 minutes...) about Madrid's wonderful underground system. In typical fashion, they encouraged me to "write about it!" I was so unsatisfied with my earlier white-bread post that I just had to supplement it with something a little more piquant.

So here it goes: I love Metro Madrid. If you live in Manhattan, you will probably scoff in my face and/or challenge me to a breakdance fight, but I'll stick to my guns. Madrid's got NYC, Boston (puh-lease) and DC (is that a joke?) handily beat. In my experience, Madrid also beats the pants off Barcelona, Budapest, and Paris in terms of subway systems. 

In Madrid, the subway is:
  • Clean- I think I've seen graffiti twice. The floor is white. There are not dripping pipes everywhere.
  • Well-lit- a few sketchy tunnels at some stops, but for the most part it's cheery and safe-feeling. 
  • Easy to use- here's the clincher: each direction of each line has its own platform. Before you take the stairs down to the platforms, there are LISTS OF STATIONS so you know exactly which direction and which line you need. This means that you never have to worry about catching an uptown train when you really want a downtown train, which is often an issue for me in NYC. This was quite the revelation when I arrived in September. 
  • Pretty colors- Each metro line has a number, but they're more generally referred to (at least colloquially) by their colors. This is not a big deal, but the colors are all very pleasant shades (aqua, light green, red, yellow, etc.). 
  • Cheap- costs less than 1 euro per ride. I don't even have to think about that, though, because I have a monthly abono juvenil pass that costs 30 euros and is good for unlimited rides. Suck it, Metrocard. 
  • One-speed- sometimes the trains run faster (i.e. during "rush hours"), but there aren't separate express and local trains. Every train stops at every station it's supposed to. To someone who's accidentally ended up in Queens more than once, this is a big deal.  
  • Hi-tech- Each platform has at least 2 electronic signs that counts down the minutes until the train is in the station. Super convenient for determining whether you have enough time to snag a bench or not. 
  • Speedy- takes me 15 minutes to get to the center of Madrid's downtown. What else could I ask for?
In fact, the only thing that KILLS me about this glorious wonder of public transportation is that it closes at 1:30 a.m. and doesn't open until 6 a.m. But then again, nobody's perfect. 

Hope you enjoyed my Ode to Metro. If you ever have the opportunity to visit this lovely city, make sure you experience the Metro at least one time. You won't regret it! 

Besos,
S

No comments:

Post a Comment